Welcome

Welcome to my blog http://www.skegley.blogspot.com/ . CAVEAT LECTOR- Let the reader beware. This is a Christian Conservative blog. It is not meant to offend anyone. Please feel free to ignore this blog, but also feel free to browse and comment on my posts! You may also scroll down to respond to any post.

For Christian American readers of this blog:


I wish to incite all Christians to rise up and take back the United States of America with all of God's manifold blessings. We want the free allowance of the Bible and prayers allowed again in schools, halls of justice, and all governing bodies. We don't seek a theocracy until Jesus returns to earth because all men are weak and power corrupts the very best of them.
We want to be a kinder and gentler people without slavery or condescension to any.

The world seems to be in a time of discontent among the populace. Christians should not fear. God is Love, shown best through Jesus Christ. God is still in control. All Glory to our Creator and to our God!


A favorite quote from my good friend, Jack Plymale, which I appreciate:

"Wars are planned by old men,in council rooms apart. They plan for greater armament, they map the battle chart, but: where sightless eyes stare out, beyond life's vanished joys, I've noticed,somehow, all the dead and mamed are hardly more than boys(Grantland Rice per our mutual friend, Sarah Rapp)."

Thanks Jack!

I must admit that I do not check authenticity of my posts. If anyone can tell me of a non-biased arbitrator, I will attempt to do so more regularly. I know of no such arbitrator for the internet.











Monday, August 23, 2010

Another wonderful Woody story- Thanks Ramey Hoskins and friend

I received the following from a friend. A good follow up to the other stories about Woody.




Ramey. I didn't like his 3 yards and a cloud of dust and he was tough and had lot diff lifestyles that I didn't like BUT he was a mighty good man in many ways. I came to OSU the same year he did, Had classes under him and never missed a football game during those 4 years. Some of my favorites

Seeing 80,000 plus fans standing up and singing, "Goodbye Woody, We hate to see you go" This was at the tailend of his 1st or 2nd year there when the football team was stil pathetic and it was probably the last game before the Michigan Game. We he won that game and the rest is history !

Bo Schembeckler had played for Woody at Miami, Coached for Woody at Miami and OSU, and of course went on to coach against Woody the rest of his career. I was amazed at the "Hatred" between the two while Bo coached at Mich. I mentioned this to Jim Ruehl a friend of mine who played for Woody and later went on to help another one of Woody's assistants who took over Bowling Green about the same time Bo took over Mich. Jims answer was "Hogwash, every year before the season starts , Woody comes up, Bo comes down and the four of us go out to dinner and talk all night"

Woody had a recruit from Zanesville that was a Dr's son and a very good football player. The Dr told me Woody had been to his house 10 times and had never mentioned football. When it came down to the day that Woody offered him his scholarship, The player was sitting across the table from Woody and The dad was seated at the end of the table. Woody made the offer. His dad jumped in and said Woody, I've been planning for his Education all these years and he really doesn't need a scholarship. Why don't I pay his way and give the scholarship to some one who needs it? Woody turns to the Dr and said, "I didn't offer you the scholarship, I offered it to him and he deserves it !" The kid went to OSU one year. died of Leukemia and of course that would have been the end of the relationship with almost any coach you can name. The Dr told me that Woody never came thru town without calling the day before and telling the Dr's wife, "Make me a Blueberry Pie, I'll be in tomorrow". This was at least 4-5 years after the kid had passed away.

So you may like him or not but he had some positive things about him that few could match. By the way, he carried the facade with Bo right to the end. His last public appearance, he was brought from a Nursing Home, in a wheel chair, to a dinner in his honor. The door opens, Bo walks in and Woody bellows, "What the Hell are you doing here?"

--- On Thu, 8/19/10, ramey hoskins wrote:


From: ramey hoskins
Subject: Fw: Jim's and Phyllis's story remeinded me of this Ann Hayes story about the great coach
To: "Ramey Hoskins"
Date: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 10:53 PM


Here are a couple of OSU first person stories that may interest you. Read the one below and then the attachment. Enjoy. From Sam Kegley's blog.
Ramey

No comments:

Blog Definition

On Line Blog Definition
Google-Blog Definitionblog, short for web log, an online, regularly updated journal or newsletter that is readily accessible to the general public by virtue of being posted on a website.