Welcome

Welcome to my blog http://www.skegley.blogspot.com/ . CAVEAT LECTOR- Let the reader beware. This is a Christian Conservative blog. It is not meant to offend anyone. Please feel free to ignore this blog, but also feel free to browse and comment on my posts! You may also scroll down to respond to any post.

For Christian American readers of this blog:


I wish to incite all Christians to rise up and take back the United States of America with all of God's manifold blessings. We want the free allowance of the Bible and prayers allowed again in schools, halls of justice, and all governing bodies. We don't seek a theocracy until Jesus returns to earth because all men are weak and power corrupts the very best of them.
We want to be a kinder and gentler people without slavery or condescension to any.

The world seems to be in a time of discontent among the populace. Christians should not fear. God is Love, shown best through Jesus Christ. God is still in control. All Glory to our Creator and to our God!


A favorite quote from my good friend, Jack Plymale, which I appreciate:

"Wars are planned by old men,in council rooms apart. They plan for greater armament, they map the battle chart, but: where sightless eyes stare out, beyond life's vanished joys, I've noticed,somehow, all the dead and mamed are hardly more than boys(Grantland Rice per our mutual friend, Sarah Rapp)."

Thanks Jack!

I must admit that I do not check authenticity of my posts. If anyone can tell me of a non-biased arbitrator, I will attempt to do so more regularly. I know of no such arbitrator for the internet.











Thursday, September 16, 2010

Pride and Prejudice of Portsmouth Ohio- Thanks Jack Plymale!

Check that a bit, Jack!




I dedicated my Softball book (2003) to the great Wayne Widdig and Dick Bendinelli was in my Excellence in Athletes Book (2004). Many people mentioned Ed Schmidt and Joe Luchi in stories from my books. Ronnie Widdig was a QB at PCC or Notre Dame as well as my neighbor, Pat Tannian. I worked at Williams with Phil Goodman, Dick Entler, and John Bowman (a twin) back in 1951 and 1952 before going into the Army. I am not ashamed to say that these, and your mentions, were all fine people.



I know what you mean about the "fish-eater" prejudices many of us Mound Park park urchins shared . I am so happy about all of the Christian Catholics we protestants share with now. Church wasn't much of a discussion among us back then although I attended Central Christian regularly after a few years at the Baptist Church at Young and Robinson. We probably had atheists in our crowd, but they were largely closeted in those days. I never knew of a 'gay' of the Park crowd and only knew of two or three in the Portsmouth area. There were a lot of protestant friends who hardly ever saw the inside of Portsmouth's churches. That was mandated in mosdt Catholic families.



Nevertheless, you can't imagine how I enjoy your reminiscing about P'Town people of your vintage- fine wine from those years (five to seven years ahead of me). You make me feel so young at my 77 Jack! ;)



Sam





----- Original Message -----

From: Jack H Plymale

To: Sam Kegley

Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 21:35

Subject: Pride and prejudice





Sam, I;ve noticed in reading your books and blogs that there has been little mention of some of the guys who played for central catholic. The fish eaters. I doubt that you have those kinds of prejudices, but I, at one time,I did, as did almost all my friends. There would have been no reason for an old Mound Park urchin to really know many of them and I didn't either

. Dick Diehl was captain of CC in 1944 and was , not only a heck of an athlete., but one of the finest humans I ever knew. He was one of three roomates I had when we were in the Navy at Denison U.. in 1945

... He married one of two girls named Betty Hicks from Portsmouth was president or V.President of the old Ohio Stove Foundry there in Portsmouth until retirement. Betty died young and he spends all his spare time working for the c. Church. Another guy was Rodney Kinskey who, I think and I could be wrong.was captain of the CC team a year earlier. Rods dad owned the Ideal milk co. in Portsmouth. Rod was a heck of a football player, a brilliant student and a highly successful business man out west. Rod was a frat Bro of mine and another nice guy like you don't often meet

.He married one of our cheerleaders. Jeanne Dougherty( we called her froggy because she had such pretty legs) they had nine children out in Wyoming I think. Rod and his brother sold I deal milk Rod and Jeanne went west bought another dairy started up and bought a bunch of convenience store( almost 30 from 7=11 when they went out of business. Rod was in our frat at Ohio State. Was responsible for my being able to vote for Harry Truman the first time. I figured I owed him that because he had the guts to drop the A bomb on Japan. He had a new 1948 Chevy convetrible, Didn't leave Columbus until 5:10 PM and both of us voted in Portsmouth. You know what kind of a basketball player Joe Luchi was. Married Billi Pridmore, classmate of mine. Some tremendous athletes and extremely fine people at Central catholic.. Jack P.( Us old hard shell Baptists have to strain to admit that.)

No comments:

Blog Definition

On Line Blog Definition
Google-Blog Definitionblog, short for web log, an online, regularly updated journal or newsletter that is readily accessible to the general public by virtue of being posted on a website.