Welcome

Welcome to my blog http://www.skegley.blogspot.com/ . CAVEAT LECTOR- Let the reader beware. This is a Christian Conservative blog. It is not meant to offend anyone. Please feel free to ignore this blog, but also feel free to browse and comment on my posts! You may also scroll down to respond to any post.

For Christian American readers of this blog:


I wish to incite all Christians to rise up and take back the United States of America with all of God's manifold blessings. We want the free allowance of the Bible and prayers allowed again in schools, halls of justice, and all governing bodies. We don't seek a theocracy until Jesus returns to earth because all men are weak and power corrupts the very best of them.
We want to be a kinder and gentler people without slavery or condescension to any.

The world seems to be in a time of discontent among the populace. Christians should not fear. God is Love, shown best through Jesus Christ. God is still in control. All Glory to our Creator and to our God!


A favorite quote from my good friend, Jack Plymale, which I appreciate:

"Wars are planned by old men,in council rooms apart. They plan for greater armament, they map the battle chart, but: where sightless eyes stare out, beyond life's vanished joys, I've noticed,somehow, all the dead and mamed are hardly more than boys(Grantland Rice per our mutual friend, Sarah Rapp)."

Thanks Jack!

I must admit that I do not check authenticity of my posts. If anyone can tell me of a non-biased arbitrator, I will attempt to do so more regularly. I know of no such arbitrator for the internet.











Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Ted Dunham's medic duties WWII Thanks Jim Kegley!

High Notes 06-16-2011

Jim Kegley

Scioto Voice

Wheelersburg, Ohio




It was 66-years and 5-weeks ago, on May 8, 1945, that the war in Europe ended and that date is remembered as V-E Day.

My half-brother, Theodore (Ted) Dunham, was a Private First Class member of the U.S. Army Medical Department, “Medic” attached to the 242nd Infantry Regiment serving in Germany when the war ended.

On 15 March, just a few weeks before the war ended, Ted and his Company I, were attacked by the Germans. They were penned down near Melch, France, by “intense artillery, mortar, and machine gun fire”. My brother, Ted, “noticed an infantryman lying wounded in terrain exposed to the deadly barrage. Braving the murderous fire, he advanced to the side of the injured man and succeeded in helping him to a covered position where he promptly administered first aid. By his courageous and unhesitating action, Private Dunham undoubtedly saved his wounded comrade from further injury or possible death.”

This information was contained in an official extract, dated February13, 1946, by Lt. Col., General Staff Corps, Actg, Chief of Staff, by command of Major General Collins. The extract explained that Ted was awarded an Oak Leaf Cluster, to be added to his Bronze Star, which had been authorized by the President in an extract dated, February 1, 1946.

Ted’s Bronze Star was awarded for, “Heroic achievement in action on 11 April 1945, near Schweinfurt, Germany. During an intense artillery concentration near Schweinfurt, Germany, Company I suffered numerous casualties. Private Dunham, medical man with the company, left the safety of his foxhole many times throughout the day to treat the casualties and prepare them for evacuation. Fearlessly braving the murderous enemy fire, he administered first aid to ten of the twenty-one wounded throughout the day. Private Dunham’s courageous action and unselfish determination saved many lives during the day and were an inspiration to his comrades”.

This battle occurred, one day before, President Franklin D. Roosevelt died, April 12, 1945.

I have told the story before about seeing my mother softly weeping as she stood ironing clothes, and when I asked her why she was crying, she said, “Our President Roosevelt died today”. I was six-years at the time, and Ted, was 20 and still in Germany where the 242nd Infantry Regiment had a solemn commemoration of Roosevelt’s death, while on a battlefield in Germany.

Of course, Ted had always been a hero to me, but in all the years I never knew the stories about his service medals until last year when Helen, Ted’s widow, sent copies of the above citations to their daughter, Roseanne Evans, of Huber Heights, near Dayton. Thankfully Roseanne sent copies to her Uncles and Aunts.

Ted, like so many of that “Greatest Generation”, never talked about his war experiences. Ted died in 1982, at 62. He was retired from the Norfolk & Western Railroad.

I do remember that Ted told me that his outfit had been at the liberation of Dachau concentration camp. I subsequently verified via the internet, that, although “the 45th Thunderbirds Division actually liberated Dachau, the “42nd was right beside them on 29 April, 1945”.

My mother, Mary E. Kegley, had been married to Ted’s father, Theodore Dunham of Wakefield, when he was accidentally killed while working for the power company, and she was pregnant with Ted. She later married my father, Forest, and had nine more children.

No comments:

Blog Definition

On Line Blog Definition
Google-Blog Definitionblog, short for web log, an online, regularly updated journal or newsletter that is readily accessible to the general public by virtue of being posted on a website.