Welcome

Welcome to my blog http://www.skegley.blogspot.com/ . CAVEAT LECTOR- Let the reader beware. This is a Christian Conservative blog. It is not meant to offend anyone. Please feel free to ignore this blog, but also feel free to browse and comment on my posts! You may also scroll down to respond to any post.

For Christian American readers of this blog:


I wish to incite all Christians to rise up and take back the United States of America with all of God's manifold blessings. We want the free allowance of the Bible and prayers allowed again in schools, halls of justice, and all governing bodies. We don't seek a theocracy until Jesus returns to earth because all men are weak and power corrupts the very best of them.
We want to be a kinder and gentler people without slavery or condescension to any.

The world seems to be in a time of discontent among the populace. Christians should not fear. God is Love, shown best through Jesus Christ. God is still in control. All Glory to our Creator and to our God!


A favorite quote from my good friend, Jack Plymale, which I appreciate:

"Wars are planned by old men,in council rooms apart. They plan for greater armament, they map the battle chart, but: where sightless eyes stare out, beyond life's vanished joys, I've noticed,somehow, all the dead and mamed are hardly more than boys(Grantland Rice per our mutual friend, Sarah Rapp)."

Thanks Jack!

I must admit that I do not check authenticity of my posts. If anyone can tell me of a non-biased arbitrator, I will attempt to do so more regularly. I know of no such arbitrator for the internet.











Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Scioto Voice, Wheelersurg JimK.'s High Notes



High Notes 01-12-2012
I like football, baseball and basketball, and I’ve played them all…not well, but I always had fun. Now all of those sports are of the “spectator variety” for me, and the number one game for me to watch is college basketball. Oh, that’s not true, I really prefer high school basketball, but I’ve gotten out of the habit of attending games, and do my spectating from the easy chair sitting in front of the HD tv.
Take tonight…Ohio State is playing at Illinois on ESPN at 9 p.m. I will watch!
Saturday, the Kentucky Wildcats will be at Tennessee, and I’ll be in front of the tv.
Next Sunday, the Buckeye boys will have a re-match with Indiana, AT HOME this time, and we hope they will give the Hoosiers a rough and tumble game resulting in victory for the boys in scarlet and grey. OSU lost their first game at Indy, by a narrow foul-induced score.
On Monday, my brother Paul, of Sedan Crabtree Road, McDermott, and I made a road trip to Flemingsburg, Kentucky, to attend a livestock sale in that neat, and relatively near-by town of 3,000.
I have been in Flemingsburg a few times in the last couple of years, accompanying, Linda Noel, of Second Street, Portsmouth antique-shop fame, on buying trips. Linda is the daughter of Florine (Flo) McConnell, a former typesetter and assistant-editor of The Scioto Voice, during the first several years of the paper’s existence.
Flo didn’t have the title of “assistant editor”, but she was the smartest grammarian in our small staff in those days. And, Flo and James (Count) McConnell were outstanding, and nationally known, art-glass dealers for many years, so Linda comes by the antique business honestly.
Linda lives next door to my girlfriend, Nora Netzer, at Forest Heights, Portsmouth and the three of us hang out together some. Linda’s long-time husband, Jack Noel, the retired fireman, died a couple of years ago.
Oh, and coincidentally, my long-time Burt’s Lane, Stout, neighbors, Dee and Nancy Mauk, have moved into the Forest Heights apartment in the adjoining duplex to Linda, next door to, and in-between Linda and Nora.
Dee and Naancy are settling in since moving last Fall.
On one of our Flemingsburg trips, Linda, an only child, said, “You know I was really grown before I knew my Dad’s name was James…I remember somebody asked if Jim McConnell was my Dad, and I said, ‘No, my Dad’s name is Count!” Count, who was born in 1911, was an outstanding Portsmouth Trojan athlete of his day, excelling at all sports. And, Florine was a star basketball player for the Trojans during the late twenties and early thirties.
No, my part-time farmer brother Paul, did not buy any of the beef calves that were being sold at Flemingsburg on Monday, but we had a good time anyway. It was a new experience for me, and he had never been to that particular stock sale. What sold us on the idea of going though was my memory of the wonderful Country-ham and fried potato breakfast they sell in the Stockyard Restaurant. It is really a nice place to get a great meal, and they are open every day, not just their Monday and Saturday livestock sale days. If you want to have a good old Kentucky style meal, it is worth the beautiful morning drive. Just take the AA highway to Kentucky Rte 57 south, and enjoy the scenery and the food.

No comments:

Blog Definition

On Line Blog Definition
Google-Blog Definitionblog, short for web log, an online, regularly updated journal or newsletter that is readily accessible to the general public by virtue of being posted on a website.