Welcome

Welcome to my blog http://www.skegley.blogspot.com/ . CAVEAT LECTOR- Let the reader beware. This is a Christian Conservative blog. It is not meant to offend anyone. Please feel free to ignore this blog, but also feel free to browse and comment on my posts! You may also scroll down to respond to any post.

For Christian American readers of this blog:


I wish to incite all Christians to rise up and take back the United States of America with all of God's manifold blessings. We want the free allowance of the Bible and prayers allowed again in schools, halls of justice, and all governing bodies. We don't seek a theocracy until Jesus returns to earth because all men are weak and power corrupts the very best of them.
We want to be a kinder and gentler people without slavery or condescension to any.

The world seems to be in a time of discontent among the populace. Christians should not fear. God is Love, shown best through Jesus Christ. God is still in control. All Glory to our Creator and to our God!


A favorite quote from my good friend, Jack Plymale, which I appreciate:

"Wars are planned by old men,in council rooms apart. They plan for greater armament, they map the battle chart, but: where sightless eyes stare out, beyond life's vanished joys, I've noticed,somehow, all the dead and mamed are hardly more than boys(Grantland Rice per our mutual friend, Sarah Rapp)."

Thanks Jack!

I must admit that I do not check authenticity of my posts. If anyone can tell me of a non-biased arbitrator, I will attempt to do so more regularly. I know of no such arbitrator for the internet.











Friday, November 1, 2013

Nice column by my brother, Jim ... SamKat

My column for The Scioto Voice, Jim Kegley
 
 
High Notes 11-07-2013 – Angela Gorman
 
Angela Gorman, is the “Irish Mom” who declares that fact on her auto’s license plates.  She is my neighbor on Bihlman Drive, Portsmouth, who grew up in Belfast, Northern Ireland, and she told me a couple of stories about recent adventures she’s had while walking the neighborhood.  Ms. Gorman likes to walk early in the morning.  One recent morning she passed by a car, which was parked in front of a house, and she noticed a lady’s purse sitting on the sidewalk next to the car.   Angela is one of those persons who responds to such situations and is eager to help others, so she immediately went to the front door of the house and knocked loudly, until a lady answered.  The lady was in her house clothes, and seemed unhappy at being wakened so early, until the purse was pointed out.  She than exclaimed, “That’s my purse, I must have left it on the sidewalk as I was taking my shopping bags from the car last night…that’s my life in that purse!”  Angela retrieved the purse and the lady was very thankful, she said.
Angela continued with her story as I visited with her last week, “I was at Wal-Mart a few days later, and while standing in line waiting to check-out, I noticed a young man behind me, and he seemed too close, so I turned to look at him, and he was smiling broadly.  I thought that was strange, so I turned back around and tried to ignore him.  He moved closer to my left shoulder, so I turned again and looked at him, at which time he said, “You live in Forest Heights, don’t you”?
Well, I felt uncomfortable at the situation, and turned back around to ignore him, and he said, “That was my Mom, whose purse you found!  I’ve seen you walking in front of her house.” 
“Phew, was I relieved!” Angela said.
“Then a couple of days later, I was walking east on Coles Boulevard, and just past Howard Street, I heard a strange whimpering sound.  It was coming from up the bank among some shrubs, so I cleared them away and found a small injured looking dog.  At that same time, I saw a man walking another dog on a leash, on the other side of the street, so I called to him, and ran to him and explained the situation.  He then hurriedly accompanied me to the injured dog.  When he saw the dog, he started crying, and said, ‘That’s my dog, Coco, and I’ve been looking for him for two days,’ as he took him lovingly into his arms. I don’t know the man, nor have I seen him since, but I’m glad he was able to get his dog back,” she said.
Perhaps Angela learned how to respond to adversity early in her childhood, as she and the rest of her family had to leave their beds during the night hours and go to nearby bomb-shelter trenches when Adolph Hitler’s Luftwaffe rained terror onto the city.
Luftwaffe means “Air-weapon” in the German language.
I wrote a column several weeks ago featuring Angela, and her book “An Irish American Dream” her memoir she published back in 2001.  Angela is a healthy, active and fit woman, whose list of medications is “One multi-vitamin a day”.  She loves to tend her flowers and the flowers which grace the front of the office space for Forrest Heights, across from her apartment.
Angela, her husband, Joseph along with their twin girls, Joyce and Linda settled in Portsmouth from Ireland in 1953.  Her other two daughters, Colleen and Sonja came later.
Angela said her book has become somewhat popular again, and as some of her neighbors have learned about it they want copies.  To me the book seems like her love letter to Portsmouth, and its people, and to America in general, and her poem, Beautiful America expresses that love best.
Beautiful America
Angela Gorman
I know you are probably thinking I have the title wrong
But there is logic to my reason as I sing this song
       For those of you fortunate to be born in this great land
Grew up with freedom and its beauty at your hand.
 
       To some it’s just a way of life and taken for granted
But to me this land is precious as a seed I have planted
       You see, I’m from the Emerald Isle; that’s beauty in itself
But forty shades of green do not fill the pantry shelf.
 
       I learned this at an early age, so I began to dream
Of one day going to the land of milk, honey, and cream
       The only country in the world that could fulfill my goal
Was the one that had freedom and beauty to behold.
 
     So my Beautiful America, the land of red, white and blue
It’s the gracious people here who made my life anew
       They are loving and caring and they’ll go that extra mile
I call it Beautiful America and always say it with a smile.
   

No comments:

Blog Definition

On Line Blog Definition
Google-Blog Definitionblog, short for web log, an online, regularly updated journal or newsletter that is readily accessible to the general public by virtue of being posted on a website.