Welcome

Welcome to my blog http://www.skegley.blogspot.com/ . CAVEAT LECTOR- Let the reader beware. This is a Christian Conservative blog. It is not meant to offend anyone. Please feel free to ignore this blog, but also feel free to browse and comment on my posts! You may also scroll down to respond to any post.

For Christian American readers of this blog:


I wish to incite all Christians to rise up and take back the United States of America with all of God's manifold blessings. We want the free allowance of the Bible and prayers allowed again in schools, halls of justice, and all governing bodies. We don't seek a theocracy until Jesus returns to earth because all men are weak and power corrupts the very best of them.
We want to be a kinder and gentler people without slavery or condescension to any.

The world seems to be in a time of discontent among the populace. Christians should not fear. God is Love, shown best through Jesus Christ. God is still in control. All Glory to our Creator and to our God!


A favorite quote from my good friend, Jack Plymale, which I appreciate:

"Wars are planned by old men,in council rooms apart. They plan for greater armament, they map the battle chart, but: where sightless eyes stare out, beyond life's vanished joys, I've noticed,somehow, all the dead and mamed are hardly more than boys(Grantland Rice per our mutual friend, Sarah Rapp)."

Thanks Jack!

I must admit that I do not check authenticity of my posts. If anyone can tell me of a non-biased arbitrator, I will attempt to do so more regularly. I know of no such arbitrator for the internet.











Thursday, October 7, 2010

Happy Birthday to me- But wait, it isn't my Birthday. It is my wife's, Jeanette Weddington Kegley

A Nesei, second generation Japanese from Hawaii, was a sergeant friend who shared our barack in Tokyo.  Pop, (then 28, whereas most of us GI's were only 20-22) was the old man of our place.   He would return to the barracks inebriated late Saturday or early Sunday and come to my room and  look at Jeanie's picture beside my bunk.  He had a little broken English and would say:  "How You get so lucky, boy?  Get such a beautiful woman?"  He would laugh and giggle and just enjoy raising me out of a good sleep to pester me.

Well, I did get lucky, now nearly 61 years ago.  Paul Stamm and Don Ramsey were good friends, my brother, Bud's age.   They graduated from PHS in 1948.  We would often ride out on a summer evening 'looking for girls'.   I missed an evening with them once and they came back saying:  "Oh, Sam!  You have to go with us to New Boston."  Stamm said:  "Sam, I saw the prettiest thing ever and she is a great dancer!  She is so pretty though she is just something you would put up on a shelf and look at."

Well, I could appreciate good jitterbugging and could see when it was being done, but I never danced and, literally, had two left feet for the required skills.  Next night we motored up to New Boston and the teenage crowded Grierson's Drive In, beyond the lake, the kids all called the 'Honky Tonk'.  I saw the 19 year old and I was impressed, but not overly so at first.  She was among the very best at jitterbugging, the fast dance of the day.  She could swing her elbows and whatever in the very smoothest and classiest way.  Smooth she was, but the same age of my two friends and, since I was only 17 at the time, just not a girl I was eligible to pursue.  But somehow, I soon came to my senses and decided I would try to date Jeanette Weddington.  She resisted when I wanted to take her to a PHS basketball game and I believe she just didn't want to be seem with this 'kid' in public.

I began working as an usher at the popular Ohio Theatre in new Boston along with the Clark twins, Carl and Clare.  I saw Jeanette more often and on nights I wasn't working she allowed me to walk her home, about 3/4 of a mile west of the lake.  Those were great walks and I found that, unlike my bashfulness with a lot of the Portsmouth girls, I could carry a conversation with this sweet thing.  She seemed to enjoy our conversations, but kept a certain distance, telling me again and again, that I was just "infatuated".  That five syllable word was probably the longest I have ever heard her or anyone say.  Perhaps I was that at that time.  Slowly though, I fell more and more madly in love with Jeanette.

She must have felt something for me too.  In fact, two years later, we were married in January, 1952, 59 years ago as we approach January 2011.  I think now- many mornings later -of Pop Noburo Yamamoto saying:  'How lucky you can be boy?!  Get such a pretty  woman?'  You know what?  Pop wasn't just blowing smoke.  She was pretty then and is only prettier now each day. 

Happy birthday, my bride Jeanie!  I am beginning to think this can just not be 'infatuation'.

Sam

No comments:

Blog Definition

On Line Blog Definition
Google-Blog Definitionblog, short for web log, an online, regularly updated journal or newsletter that is readily accessible to the general public by virtue of being posted on a website.